Monday, September 12, 2005

 

Sometimes There Is A Car

Sometimes there is a car that well he’s the car.

Sometimes there is a car that can do it all.

Sometimes there is a car that has more than an owner but a companion.

Sometimes there is a car that the passengers recognize as more than a car.

Sometimes there is a car that is supposed to only seat 5 but has held 11.

Sometimes there is car that can take gunshot wounds as if they were just another pebble in the road.

Sometimes there is a car that despite it being only two wheeled drive can find its way through backwoods and fields of mud.

Sometimes there is a car which may have a pink racing stripe to contrast its white color but that pink racing is more cool than it is fruity.

Sometimes there is a car whose sound system is called into question by its passengers and said passengers are left in the middle of Vermont.

Sometimes there is a car that can keep a can of tortellini for 9 years.

Sometimes there is a car that can reinforce the bonds of many a friendship.

Sometimes there is a car that has had mix cd’s made more about it than for it.

Sometimes there is a car that has a base of one manufacturer, a front end of another and a steering wheel of yet another.

Sometimes there is a car that turns up many a mystery brazier.

Sometimes there is a car that can haul as much as any truck dared to take on.

Sometimes there is a car other that the General Lee who’s doors did not open and yet posed no hindrance.

Sometimes there is a car that transcends fiction and becomes a true batmobile.

Sometimes there is a car that no matter the disrepair can be fixed with a Forrest Bastard multipurpose knife.

Sometimes there is a car that has a few of the above qualities but rarely does one encompass all of the above. And trust me that was just scratching the surface (pun intended)

That car as many of you know was Kirby who recently retired to Florida. Perhaps the separation from me was more strain then it could take but not unlike when I left for college and my 18 year old dog began to fade, my 14 year old friend, companion, transport, and car finally decided to run no more. Kirby has been donated to a charity for the homeless. As much as I would like to believe that he is going to be fixed up and some toothless homeless person will be cruising around in him I am sure the charity will sell Kirby for the few bucks they can get for him. His monetary value may not be much but his sentimental value is through the roof. I know many people form an attachment to there cars but I think the difference is that I know so many people outside of myself formed a similar report with Kirby.

May Kirby cruise that back road in the sky in peace.



Comments:
I will always be thankful for Kirby's generosity in moving all my belongings to my aparement in Brookline. Sorry to hear about Kirby's final departure.
 
I can remember speeding home from crossgates when your parents were out of town...This was a big deal at the time, because as I recall you didn't have your license. Kirby staved off the hiding police car and his speed trap on 90E that fatefull day---perhaps through some higher power...

Kirby was and will always remain a great car...

The car, the legend, one word..... Kirby
 
I almost forgot!!....using nothing but solar power--he cooked up many a spaghettio on those summer mornings at knickerbocker lake
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who links to me? Benny Hoh Blog